For this assignment, students will read the attached appellant opinion titled United States. V Shanon L. Best (click on link below). The decision was handed down by the U.S. Navy-Marine Corps Court of Crime Appeals in May 2017. The original case involved the general court-martial of a U.S. Navy Master Chief Hospital Corpsman (E-9) for the rape of his underage step-daughter. After reading the courts decision, students will answer one of the following questions:
- Identify and discuss specific tactics used by the defendant to maintain control of his victim and to ensure her continued silence regarding the ongoing sexual abuse.
- Identify and discuss the grooming process used by the defendant with regard to his victim in this case.
- Discuss the validity of the defendants argument that the military judge erred when he allowed the governments expert to testify that a thirteen-year-old does not have the capacity to consent to sexual intercourse. Do you believe a thirteen-year-old has the capacity to consent to sexual intercourse? Justify your answer.
- Student responses should be, at a minimum of 2-2.5 pages (double-spaced and no larger than 12 font) in length.
- This assignment requires a separate cover page. The cover page should contain the students name; course number and title; and assignment number.
- Papers should have 1 inch margins with only the students name on the top of each page following the cover page.
US v Shannon Best – US Navy-Marine Corps Court of Criminal Appeals.pdf